Ontario Community Updates: Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month - September 2018
September 6, 2018 The community of people dedicated to overcoming ovarian cancer is active and vibrant in Ontario. Please read on for local news and learn how you can get more involved in your community. September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month It's September and you might be wondering what you can do during Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. Here are some ideas: Wear your favourite teal apparel this Friday, September 7, Wear Teal Day, and share your photos on social media.
- Walk with your family and friends at one of Ovarian Cancer Canada's 13 Walks taking place in Ontario on September 9 (Ajax: September 8).
- Ensure that Canadian scientists have the support they need to affect progress against ovarian cancer by writing an online letter to the Minister of Health and your own Member of Parliament demanding a federal investment of $10 million in ovarian cancer research.
- There is strength in numbers; once you have sent your letter, visit: https://ovariancanada.org/Get-Involved/Advocate/Get-your-community-involved to find ideas and tools to help you encourage others in your community to write a letter too.
- Attend a community event near you.
- During the month of September, purchase a bouquet of sunflowers at Longo's and they will donation $2 to Ovarian Cancer Canada.
Contact Ashley Law at email@example.com for more information.
The Walk is this weekend This weekend is the Ovarian Cancer Canada Walk of Hope and it is not too late to register. Ontario Locations: Ajax, Barrie, Burlington/Oakville, Grey Highlands, Guelph, Hamilton, Kingston, Kitchener/Waterloo, Muskoka, Niagara Falls, Ottawa/Gatineau, Peterborough, Port-Perry, Toronto, Windsor/Essex
Living with Ovarian Cancer Now and Next Steps, Toronto Those with ovarian cancer and their loved ones are invited to an afternoon of learning, networking and sharing about ovarian cancer presented by Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Ovarian Cancer Canada, and the Ovarian Cancer Peer Support Network.
- Date: October 12, 2018
- Lunch and Networking: 11:30am-12:45pm.
- Education Program: 1:00pm – 4:30pm.
- Location: Triovest Building, 700 University Avenue, Toronto, ON
- Cost: Free
- Registration: If you are interested in attending this event please register by emailing Michelle Williams at: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: You do NOT need to be a patient at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre to attend this event.
Advisory Council on the Implementation of National Pharmacare, Community Dialogue Session – Toronto
In Budget 2018, the Federal Government announced the creation of an Advisory Council on the Implementation of National Pharmacare. The Council will assess options and provide independent advice to the Minister of Health and the Minister of Finance on how best to implement national pharmacare in a manner that is affordable for Canadians, employers and governments. Ipsos is hosting a community dialogue on this topic on September 24th from 7pm-8pm in Toronto, on behalf of the Council. The session will include a short introduction from the Council, and a chance for participants to share ideas and perspectives.
Your Work in Action Thank you to everyone in Ontario who is increasing awareness of ovarian cancer and raising funds to help overcome this disease.
- Congratulations to Denise Deacey on a successful 13th annual Circle of Friends Golf Tournament on August 18. The event raised an impressive $12,500 in support of Ovarian Cancer Canada!
- On August 25, riders from across the province participated in the ATVCEO Ovarian Cancer Fundraiser Ride in Wendover. Thank you to everyone who made this fabulous event happen.
- Thank you Mike Anderson and all the artists who performed at the recent She's Listening concert in Ottawa. Watch for special performances at the Ottawa Walk from artists featured on the She's Listening CD compilation.
- Thank you to the volunteers who helped to assemble awareness and support information packages. Displays can be found at local cancer centres and support organizations throughout the month of September.
Events and Volunteer Opportunities Get involved by attending or volunteering at the next Ovarian Cancer Canada event near you:
• September 1-30: B&H Grocer's September Campaign, Kemptville
• September 1-30: Longo's Sunflower Program, GTA
• September 5: Hospital Information Tables, Hamilton and Toronto
• September 6: Hamilton City Hall Illumination, Hamilton
• September 7: Wear Teal Day
• September 7: Flag Raising at Guelph City Hall, Guelph
• September 7-9: City of Cambridge Illumination, Cambridge
• September 9: Ovarian Cancer Canada Walk of Hope
• September 15: Yoga @ the Vineyard, Navan • September 15: Let's Ride for Her In memory of Bonnie Caruso, St. Catharines
• September 27: Purses, Pies, and Pinot, Sault Ste. Marie
• October 12: Living with Ovarian Cancer Now and Next Steps, Toronto
• October 18: Expedition of Hope Everest Base Camp, Nepal
• October 21: Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, Toronto
• October 20-21: National Women's Show, Ottawa
• November 3: La Maison Bridal Boutique's Bridal and Prom Fashion Show, Ottawa
• November 9-11: National Women's Show, Toronto