Effective March, 16, 2020
To our HopeSpring Cancer Support Centre Community,
Our hearts go out to all those who have been affected by the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19). At HopeSpring Cancer Support Center, health and well-being has always been at the forefront of our organization, and we want to continue to support our members, volunteers, facilitators and staff in the pursuit of wellness, hope and support of the cancer journey during this time.
We are personally reaching out to you to provide an update on the actions that HopeSpring Cancer Support Centre is taking to help prevent the spread of the virus. We are actively following the lead of the World Health Organization (WHO), Canadian public health authorities, the Waterloo Region Board of Health (WRBH), and the Grand River Regional Cancer Centre (GRRCC). At this important time we have taken the following precautionary measures:
- Pausing all In-Person/In-Community programming: Effective immediately all in person programming provided within the community and at HopeSpring Cancer Support Centre’s location within the Inn of Waterloo has been placed on pause indefinitely. We will continue to reassess and communicate plans as they evolve. The HopeSpring team is exhaustively creating new materials and building partnerships to provide online resources as alternatives to ensure our members are effectively supported during this unique time. The HopeSpring team will be available to our community via PHONE and EMAIL Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm exclusively.
- Pausing all Wig and Camisole Consultations: Effective immediately, all wig and camisole consultations are paused due to the unique nature and close physical contact/proximity during these consultations. HopeSpring will provide free of charge delivery of camisoles for our members after a phone call size/fit consultation.
- Cancer Care Counsellor and Support Groups transitioning to phone and web based support: Effective immediately, Cancer Care Counselling will continue and will transition to phone based support along with an option for video conferencing support (Zoom) for our existing and new members. We are currently in the process of transitioning multiple Support Groups to on-line/telephone conferencing. Details to follow.
- All Partnership Programming is paused: Look Good Feel Better and the Prostate Cancer Support Group have paused their programming. Young Adult Cancer Canada and also OPACC (support for parents of children with cancer) are paused.
- Increased Routine Cleaning: Increased sanitization of both our programming and administrative spaces which will include hygiene of desk top surfaces, door handles, computer keyboards and screens and telephones. Hand Sanitization stations have been placed throughout our space.
- Prioritizing Good Hygiene Practices: Implementing continuous reminders about good hygiene practices and supporting our team with the necessary resources.
- Pausing all food and beverage offering In-Centre: Effective immediately, all complimentary food and beverage has been removed and stopped until further notice.
- Pausing all Community and In-Centre Volunteering: Effective immediately, all in person volunteering will pause until further notice. The health and welfare of our volunteers is most important to us, during this time. We will transition key volunteer projects to remote volunteerism where possible.
- Staying Informed: We are closely monitoring the situation, and regularly providing all of our members, facilitators, volunteers, staff and community with the most up to date safety guidelines, as recommended by Health Canada and our regional health officials.
The health and well-being of our community has been HopeSpring's priority for the past 24 1/2 years and will remain our mission over the days and weeks to come. We will continue to provide information about the steps we are taking to address this rapidly evolving situation. As we develop alternative ways to support our members, please be sure to regularly visit our website and social media pages. Do not hesitate to call (519) 742-4673 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with any questions you may have.
HopeSpring Cancer Support Centre may have to cancel our planned and future fundraising events, and community lead fundraisers out of an abundance of caution. Your generous support is needed to ensure our community cancer support centre can continue our charitable mission to help anyone in need during their cancer journey. Please consider donating today.
On behalf of HopeSpring Cancer Support Centre,
President, Board of Directors
HopeSpring Cancer Support Centre